Butchers take larger wholesale sections of meat and break them down into smaller portions or custom cuts which can be sold to customers. They break down meats, design signs and displays, and speak to customers to answer questions and handle requests.
- Location: Pointe-à-la-Croix, QC
- Salary: $30,000 to $50,000WEEKLY weekly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Weekend, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Butcher Job Description
We are looking for a skilled Butcher to provide high-quality meats and services to our customers. The Butcher will perform quality inspections, use meat grinders, knives, saws, and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions, weigh, price, and package cuts, and ensure that displays and signage are attractive and eye-catching. You will also speak to customers to determine their needs, provide advice regarding proper cuts of meat and preparation methods, and coordinate pickups or deliveries.
To succeed as a Butcher, you should be courteous, knowledgeable, and detail-oriented. You should have excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of meat quality, cuts, and preparation.
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive.
- Weighing, packaging, pricing, and displaying products.
- Keeping records, budgets, and inventory.
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products.
- Negotiating and confirming orders with suppliers.
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments.
- Coordinating deliveries or order pickups.
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
- Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
- 1st Period Apprentice
- 2nd Period Apprentice
- 3rd Period Apprentice
- Certification with provincial or territorial authorities
- Meat Cutter Trade Certification
- Specific Skills
- Slice cooked meats
- Shape, lace and tie roasts, other meats, poultry and seafood
- Remove bones from meat
- Prepare special displays of meats, poultry and fish products
- Prepare special orders
- Make special sausages
- Grind meats
- Cut fish into steaks and fillets
- Cut poultry into parts
- Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat
- Cut carcasses, sides and quarters
- Clean and prepare fish and shellfish
- Equipment and Machinery Experience
- Slicing machine
- Sausage machine
- Power grinder
- Manual cutting utensil
- Band saw
- Additional Skills
- Wrap and package prepared meats
- Weigh meats for sale
- Train meat cutters
- Sell meats to customers
- Price meat products
- Clean meats to prepare for processing or cutting
- Supervise other butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers
- Work Setting
- Supermarket and meat department
- Fish store
- Butcher shop
- Supermarket/grocery store
- Security and Safety
- Criminal record check;
- Work Site Environment
- Odours; Cold/refrigerated;
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Attention to detail; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Tight deadlines;
- Work Location Information
- Relocation costs not covered by employer;
- Personal Suitability
- Initiative; Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Accurate; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Client focus; Dependability; Judgement; Reliability; Organized;
Health care plan, Disability benefits, Dental plan, Vision care benefits, Paramedical services coverage
Long term benefits
Group insurance benefits
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
20 rue de la Mer
Pointe a la Croix, PQ, QC
G0C 1L0 Between 08:30 AM and 04:00 PM
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- References attesting experience
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of the requested certifications
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying: