Edo state commissioner for communication, Chris Nehikhare has made a clarification on the number of people abducted during an attack on a train station in the state.
Giving an update on the incident on Wednesday, January 11, Nehikhare said intelligence report has revealed that 20 persons and not 32 were kidnapped from the Igueben train station in the state.
The commissioner further revealed that 7 of the victims have been rescued. He said;
“The kidnappers successfully kidnapped 20 persons at the Igueben train station and not 32 persons as previously said.
“Out of the 20 persons, seven have been rescued while 13 persons are still with the kidnappers.
“The operation is ongoing and we are confident that very soon, the ordeal of the innocent citizens will soon be over.”
Nehikhare also disclosed that Phillip Shaibu, deputy governor of the state, has already had a conversation with traditional rulers in the locality on the consequences of harbouring kidnappers.
“If kidnappers are found residing or using any of the property in the community, such property would be forfeited to the state government and would be destroyed.
“Also, if at any point, those that use the facility were found to have killed any of their captives, the owner of such facility would be charged for murder and prosecuted along with the perpetrators of the crime.
“The deputy governor also told the traditional rulers to increase surveillance in their areas to prevent crime.”
The commissioner urged the media to work with the information from the government and not from other sources for the safety of the family of the victims.