• Thu. Jan 26th, 2023

naijbazeent

Top Notch Entertainment

Spanish opera star, Placido Domingo faces new accusations of sexual harassment as female singer claims he asked to put his hands in her trouser

Jan 16, 2023

Spanish opera star, Plácido Domingo is facing new accusations of sexual harassment from a fellow singer. 

 

An unidentified singer spoke out on Spain’s La Sexta (the Sixth) television channel, claiming Domingo asked to touch her at a theatre in Spain in the early 2000s.

 

This comes three years after initial claims from alleged victims prompted an apology and curtailed the career of the Spanish-born ‘Three Tenors’ singer who has not admitted any wrongdoing.

 

‘One of the first things they tell you is don’t go up in the lift alone with Plácido Domingo,’ the woman said.

 

The anonymous singer recounted how Plácido Domingo, born José Plácido Domingo Embil, asked to touch her after a rehearsal.

 

‘The first time that I felt unease was when we were rehearsing. 

 

‘He [Plácido] told me in front of everyone: “Listen, can I put my hand in one of these lovely pockets of yours?” 

 

‘I was wearing trousers with an embroidered back pocket,’ she said.

 

‘I had a bad stomach because I thought, “what can I say to [Domingo] in order to carry on normally?”

 

‘If I tell him no, there will be consequences and if I say yes, I don’t even want to think about it.’

 

The Spanish singer said that she did not report Domingo as she feared he was ‘untouchable’.

 

Domingo is one of the most successful contemporary opera singers as one-third of The Three Tenors, active during the 1990s and 2000s, with Luciano Pavarotti and José Carreras.

 

The Three Tenors’ first live album became the best-selling classical album of all time in 1990.

 

In a 2020 investigation by the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA), more than three dozen singers, dancers, musicians, voice teachers and backstage staff said they had witnessed or experienced inappropriate behaviour by Domingo. 

 

The investigation concluded he had behaved inappropriately.

 

Plácido Domingo then said in a statement that he was ‘truly sorry’ for hurt caused.

 

No criminal case was brought to court over any of the claims.

 

In an interview with Spanish newspaper El Mundo in January 2022, Domingo denied harassing anyone and said he felt he had been convicted in the court of public opinion because he did not speak out.

 

AGMA’s investigation was partial and had few concrete facts, he said.

 

Domingo returned to Spain to perform in a charity concert in June after an absence of almost a year and a half, and has since performed in other countries.